Thursday, December 30, 2010

Simple Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies*

[adapted from Smitten Kitchen]
Made these for my mom.
I also lost about 4 cookies worth of batter in the process of making these because the batter is so darn delicious. It reminds me of the Quaker Oats pre-packaged cinammon raisin flavored oatmeals... only better.


INGREDIENTS:

½ cup butter softened (or 1 stick)
2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
1 egg
½ TEAspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup flour
½ TEAspoon baking soda
½ TEAspoon ground cinnamon
¼ TEAspoon salt**
1 and ½ cup rolled oats
½ cup chopped walnuts
¾ cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven (350 F)
Cream butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla till smooth
In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt
Gradually stir this into the butter/sugar mixture
Stir in oats, raisins and walnuts

Now you can chill the dough (for thicker cookies)
Or back right away (for slightly less thick cookies)
Spoon them out about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet***
Bake 10 to 12 minutes (mine took about 15 to 17 actually)
Take them out when golden at the edges but still a little soft looking on top.
Let them cool thoroughly before packing.

*This is one of the simplest recipes I've ever tried. Everything can basically be contained to one bowl and there's no need for a mixer. Don't be afraid to tweak this. I did not measure the rasins. I just poured from the bag till it looked like enough. I messed with the amount of salt. I had clumps in the brown sugar. I probably won't add nuts next time. Don't worry. Baking isn't science. Make it your own.

**I actually used less salt than this. My mom’s doctor just told her to cut back her sodium intake so because of that, I used sea salt on only a small pinch or two.
***Yes I used a pizza pan. One of my cookie sheets was in the dishwasher and the other was keeping a really fat turkey from leaking raw thawing nastiness all over my fridge.





No comments:

Post a Comment